About this blog


WELCOME! My name is Ann Mortimer and I'm a professional watercolour artist and tutor from Nottingham, UK.

This is a "learn how to" and "problem solving" blog covering WATERCOLOUR TECHNIQUES.

You can look for things that interest you in the blog archive on the side bar when various topics have built up over time!

I'll be covering thing such as colour mixing, negative painting, using masking fluid, laying washes, painting water and all sorts of other things.

Friday 1 February 2013

Mixing blues for a bluebell wood...coming soon!

I have recently had people writing to me asking about how to mix the blues for the bluebell wood step by step project in my Flowers in the Landscape book.

There is little that is more beautiful and magical than a sun dappled bluebell wood in May.  The blues are stunning and are actually a mix of blues, lilacs, lavenders and even bolder aqua blues.  It's almost unwise to attempt and reproduce them but we feel bound to at least try!

I thought this would make an ideal blog post to start off 2013.  To talk about what colours to use and how to mix them to achieve clean, soft beautiful blues.

Below is an example painting to show you the sort of thing I'm talking about.  Stay tuned!



And here's some inspiration from the bluebell wood at Coton Manor gardens



No comments:

Post a Comment